Wednesday, 26 October 2011

1 - The beginning ...

I have the memory of a fish, so more than anything this blog is a reminder to myself, of the great experience I had in and around (in-joke) New Zealand.


Where do I start?

Where can I go that's far away that still speaks English?

New Zealand!!!



I signed up to Work New Zealand with a company called BUNAC (highly recommended, by the way), and after a heap of help from them getting flights and visas etc. sorted, I made my way to London Heathrow ...
I left England (on that plane!) on the 7th July.  My Dad and best friend were there to see me off ... I was nervous, scared, excited, happy - so many different feelings.
 
BUNAC put you in touch via Facebook with all the others on your group flight a month before it's due to go.  I talked to a few, and in my head although I shouldn't have I kind of picked out ones I though I would get on best with (a girl called Faye seemed to have a wicked sense of humour and I secretly hoped we would become best friends!)

I spent a few AMAZING days in Hong Kong with all the other BUNAC-ers ... that was so much fun and something I am so glad I got to experience.  It would be cool to go back there and spend a bit more time sightseeing when I'm not jet-lagged or hungover!


The Hong Kong skyline at night-time is just UNREAL ... I feel so lucky to have seen it :)



I had a job lined up well before I left the UK - I found a family on a backpackers website that wanted a live-in Au Pair, so after arriving in Auckland, I was only there for 2 (fun-filled) days  with the others before I got on a coach and headed to New Plymouth.

I can remember feeling so alone on the coach ride, I was in a strange country not knowing who I was going to be living with, not knowing ANYBODY.  This feeling lasted about 10 minutes ... and then I was just SO excited to be here, seeing this beautiful place.  I couldn't wait for all the new things I knew I would experience :)

No comments:

Post a Comment