I slotted right back into their family, and had a great time catching up with all the kids ... and of course Jo :)
Hannah has a friend called Sarah, and so to distinguish between who they were talking about, I was referred to as 'Big Sarah' by Keith, and the name just stuck.
They had moved up to their B&B Lodge, and it was great! It's a fantastic place to play hide and seek! We had lots of fun on the bush walk, hiding army men for the garden fairies to marry, building assault courses out of logs and feeding the sheep. (incidentally, I discovered that I am terrified of them!)
The winter was just coming, so the majority of the outdoor sports were finished with. The kids still did swimming and other clubs, but no more cricket.
Jo and I used the majority of my time here to research the apocalypse, and how to protect ourselves from elctro-magnetic radiation ... it started out as a little joke, however Jo then went on to stock a medical box and buy seeds and rice 'just in case!'.
Jo was massively into homeopathy and healthy eating ... and I took a great interest in picking her brains and finding out as much as I could about it all. I made a conscious decision to implement some of her knowledge into my daily life :)
Hannah was like my little limpet whilst I was there, as she knew this time when I left it would be for considerably longer ...
My BUNAC Friend Phil, whom I spent New Years with on Waiheke Island came up to visit me, and wasa novelty with the boys. Zak wanted to talk computers with him, Cooper wanted to play Scooby-Doo on the playstation and Keith just wanted to play anything. It's safe to say I didn't get a look in that weekend!
While he was here we went on a trip to New Plymouth, with a girl who also au-paired for a family in Stratford. We had a night out with Jo and her friends, and went to the Cinema.
I spent a whole month with them, but it felt like just a week. All too soon it was time to leave ...
I applied for my tax refund, and all was approved, packed my bag, cried my eyes out and went on a coach to Auckland. I was fully prepared and ready to sleep in the airport (wouldn't be the first time...) But Jo had paid for a hotel for me, and so I had a night of absolute luxury before my flight back to England*
*Notice how I say England, and not 'home'!
The flight was ok, although long with a couple of stop offs. I managed to have a shower in the airport in Dubai - although didn't have a towel, so dried myself with a dirty shirt ...
I landed at Heathrow...and burst into tears! I collected my bag, and after spending a year away with friendly Kiwis, it shocked me how rude and unhelpful people are in London!
I got on ANOTHER flight, to Manchester .... so that Adam could pick me up ... WITH MY BESTEST FRIEND!
I got through the doors at arrivals, and saw them both standing there - they had never met, but arranged on Facebook for him to pick her up to come and get me and take me back home :)
It was so good to see them :)
We finally got home, and my family were all waiting at my house for me, along with my other best friend.
I missed them while I was away, but seriously when I got back everything was the same. I knew that nothing drastic had happened, but still I was surprised at how 'normal' everything was. And why wouldn't it be? The world doesn't stop turning just because you're not around to see it do so.
I had a small bout of the "poor me's" on my return ... I guess it was just hard adjusting to a 'normal' life after having such a great adventure for the past year.
My advice to anyone is to travel. Anywhere. I truly believe there is nothing better for person than to widen their knowledge - and what better way to do that than to go and experience life in a different culture, with different customs and ideals. Travel until you feel like you've seen what you want to. Don't say to yourself 'maybe one day ...' because before you know it 'maybe one day...' will have turned into 'I wish I had...'. Just do it.
I made some (hopefully) lifelong friends, and shared some lovely memories with what I guess you could call strangers :)
I learnt more about myself in one year than I had in the past 20. Whilst I had and made friends, I essentially travelled by myself. I realised the kind of person I am, the things I want and the things I don't. At home it can sometimes be easy to get persuaded into things, because it's the 'norm'. Whilst I was away, I was responsible for my own actions and my own experiences. I had the best of times. I'm not saying some of it wasn't difficult at times, but I remain firm in saying it was the best year of my life. I know this may sound a bit ... preachy/cheesy ... but it's what I firmly believe. I had the best year doing the best stuff!
A quote from one of my favourite books (actually one of the ones I am holding Ransom until Lizz comes to get it ... in APRIL!) is as follows:
"No man is brave that has never walked a hundred miles. If you want to know the truth of who you are, walk until not a person knows your name. Travel is the great leveler, the great teacher, bitter as medicine, crueler than mirror-glass. A long stretch of road will teach you more about yourself than a hundred years of quiet introspection"












No comments:
Post a Comment